[ibis-macro] Re: Description required for Reserved Parameters in AMI files?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:09:31 -0700

Mike,

I tend to agree with Walter.  On pg. 144 of the PDF document
"Description" is on the same scope as "Reserved_Parameters"
or "Model_Specific".  Here it is optional.

On the other hand, I see a lot of "must be in the following
format" statements when the spec describes the format of
the parameters (pg. 144, 145, 146, 149):

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

In these sections the specification doesn't seem to make
"Description" optional.  On the other hand, on pg 146 I see
this for Tx_Jitter:

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

which is in direct contradiction with what the previous page
said about what the format of Tx_Jitter and Tx_DCD should be
if specified.  Similarly, on pg. 147, the Rx_Clock_PDF section
has this:

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

which is also in direct contradiction with what the previous
page said about what the Rx_Clock_PDF and Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity
format should be if specified.

In addition to the contradicting format examples for
Rx_Clock_Sensitivity I also found a cut and paste error on
pg. 147:

 <<Picture (Enhanced Metafile)>>

where the last sentence should not talk about Rx_Clock_PDF
but Rx_Clock_Sensitivity...

So what was the intent?  It seems that for the reserved
parameters, none of the parameter description sections use
the "Description" and the example on pg. 150 seems to follow
that rule.  Also, it seems that the example on pg. 150 does
make use of the "Description" and the format for the model
specific on pg. 149 describes that the "Description" is
required.  If I could blame all this on cut and paste errors,
than I could see that Walter's comments may have already
been around in the mind of people who wrote these sections
in the spec, and the intention may have been that the
reserved parameters wouldn't require (or use) "Description"
but the model specific parameters would require it.  In this
case we would only have to remove the "Description" from the
format descriptions on pg. 144, 145, 146 but not from pg. 149.

If we agree on this, the only question would be to figure out
how to fix the spec and what to tell the parser developer.
To me it sounds like fixing this would require a BIRD, which
raises the usual questions about time line for finishing the
parser, vs. getting the BIRD written and approved, etc...

Questions, comments?