[ibis-macro] Re: DLL debugging and validation

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <essaid.bensoudane@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:08:53 -0400

Essaid,

Thanks for your feedback.

We're not trying to mandate any environment for model development, including
the IBIS_AMI_test
program being turned being over to the IBIS Open Forum.  A model developer is
free to write, execute
and debug their models in whatever environment they choose - assuming the
debugger can gain access
to the model as you indicate.

The thing we're trying to accomplish with IBIS_AMI_test is to provide access to
an independent,
"golden" reference when model or EDA developers interpret the API spec
differently.  That golden
reference shouldn't be under the direct control of any individual company,
which is why we think the
code should ultimately be maintained by the IBIS Open Forum.

From a purely personal standpoint, I think having a standalone executable that
loads and executes
models is a good development/debug vehicle - but there are lots of other ways
to approach the
problem.

As far as licensing IBIS_AMI_test goes, that will be the IBIS Open Forum's
decision.  We were simply
suggesting the way the Open Forum licenses IBISCHK as an example that may be
worth following.
Monies from IBISCHK licensing help support different IBIS activities, and since
people don't usually
stand in line to donate money to the EIA, we were simply trying to help where
we could.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products