[ibis-macro] Re: CTLE and Wave Shape filtering?

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:51:30 -0600

Mike,

>This brings up another useful general principle: Nonlinear effects are
more important for low loss channels (e.g., < 5 dB at r/2) than they are
for higher loss channels (e.g., > 5 dB at r/2). Consider that the first
order effect of a nonlinearity is to generate harmonics of the input
signal, thus increasing the spectral density at higher frequencies. For
a low loss channel, these higher frequency spectral components will be
evident at the receiver input and will therefore affect the receiver's
behavior. This is usually the case for a parallel interface (e.g.,
DDR2), for example. For a lossy channel, however, the loss increases
with frequency and so the channel attenuates the higher frequency
spectral components (including those generated by any nonlinearities)
more than it does the lower frequency spectral components (especially
those generated by the linear response).

This type of reasoning works for periodic signals where spectrum is a
set of harmonic amplitudes and the DC component of the signal is
constant. We indeed can expect considerable attenuation of high
frequency harmonics be the input strictly periodic. Unfortunately, this
is essentially not the case, primarily because periodic signals cannot
transmit useful information. With arbitrary a-periodic input the
spectrum becomes continuous; instead of a constant DC component we
observe slowly changing operation point (with frequency well below the
base frequency) that follows the floating imbalance of the signal (an
average number of zeros and ones within a certain time window as
simulation progresses). The effect is not about 'higher' harmonics, but
mostly about 'modulation' of magnitudes near the base frequency while
the operation point wanders along IV curves. Of course, common mode
effects would add to this a lot.

Vladimir