[ibis-macro] Re: A_to_D and D_to_A

  • From: James Zhou <james.zhou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:07:42 -0700

Hi Arpad,

When converting a logic '1' or '0' into an analog signal, Specification 5.0 has
the following descriptions for D_to_A (page 109):
d_port port1 port2 vlow vhigh trise tfall corner_name

(paragraph-1)The d_port entry holds the name of the digital port. This

| entry is used for the reserved port names D_drive, D_enable,

| and D_switch. The port1 and port2 entries hold the SPICE,

| Verilog-A(MS) or VHDL-A(MS) analog input port names across

| which voltages are specified. These entries are used for the

| user-defined port names, together with another port name, used

| as a reference.

(paragraph-2)Normally port1 accepts an input signal and port2 is the

| reference for port1. However, for an opposite polarity

| stimulus, port1 could be connected to a reference port and
| port2 could serve as the input.

These two paragraphs need some serious clarification. For example,
(a) is the user or EDA tool expected to determine/assign whether a stimulus is
of opposite polarity?
(b) What is the exact meaning of opposite polarity as used in here?
(c) Because the definition of d_port has already listed port1 port2 in such
order, how could the model user and EDA tool determine which is input and which
is reference (unless the Specification specifies that port1 should be signal,
port2 should be reference)?
(d) in paragraph-1, what is  "another port name"? is it one of port1, port2 or
"another" port3? There is obviously no port3 here.

Thanks,
James Zhou
QLogic Corp.