[huskerlug] vmplayer, XP Pro and the EasyVMX web site

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HuskerLug <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:32:43 -0600

http://www.easyvmx.com/easyvmx.shtml

First, I went to the MEPIS-6.0  repository and installed vmplayer and all
of its dependencies and kernel modules.  I also have fglrx accelerated
video installed and it still works, so these files did not disturb the
previously existing ATI kernel modules.

Besides putting in the names for my vmx files I also set CDROM #1 to
"/dev/cdrom".

I don't have a floppy on my laptop so I didn't check it.
And, although I have an eth0 port,  in setting ethernet0 I used the default
setting of "NAT" and "IntelPRO/1000"  because I didn't plan to connect that
virtual XP session to the web.
I turned on enabled USB Auto Connect.
Left everything else the same.
Clicked the Button at the bottom.
It gives me 5 minutes to download the zipped file of my *.vmx config.

It took about an hour for XP Pro vm to be installed from my XP Pro
installation CD, counting the web time creating the vmplayer XP Pro config vmx
files.

To return keyboard and mouse focus to Linux use "Ctrl+Alt".
To let the VM session recapture the keyboard and mouse use "Ctrl+G"  (or is
it "Alt+G"?  I forget)

As far as speed goes it is pretty responsive.  I ran the IQAN PCL system
which I used to write that fly-by-wire tractor guidance system and it
seemed to be just about as fast as running it under XP alone.  There are
occasional point where it is slower, but overall it is acceptable.  Even
though I set up an "HD" of 4GB for the vmXP session, the actual file is
only 1.3MB on my Linux system when the vmXP session isn't running!  Inside
the vmXP while it is running  it shows that XP took 1.5GB out of the 4GB,
leaving 2.5GB 'free'.

Since I don't have a floppy on my laptop there are two ways to add
files/apps to the vm session.  Mount a CD or insert a memory stick in the
USB port.  I used the memory stick to load the IQAN executable setup file
and it copied over pretty fast, even though XP complained that it wasn't
using USB 2.0 and would be "slower".  Seemed to me it WAS using USB 2.0.

Overall, I am very impressed with how XP Pro performs while running under
Linux in a virtual machine.

Since I didn't allow for a web connection and couldn't re-register online,
I have 30 days to register via phone  before it slows down or stops.  But,
I was just playing around out of curiosity,  and I plan to delete it before
it deactivates.
JLK

--
=========