[huskerlug] bandwidth limiting

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLUG <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Apr 2002 20:21:30 -0500

I now have bandwidth limiting working on my 486 firewall, and is holding
up well.  I was concerned with the limited amount of ram the firewall
has - only 8.  2.4 with iptables, cbq for the limiting, redirection to
my proxy for http, iptraf for some monitoring, internal ssh for admin
purposes, dhcp for the clients - it all works.  Below is a copy/paste of
the config for limiting Gnutella/Napster on my network.  Already, I've
seen in the stats of the CBQ script it has been quite active in policing
the traffic - even though I consider 102 kbits total in/out traffic to
be lax.  Just goes to show how inefficient those networks are.

DEVICE=eth1,10Mbit,1Mbit
RATE=102Kbit
WEIGHT=10Kbit
PRIO=5
# GNUTELLA
RULE=:6346,10.0.0.0/8
RULE=:5634,10.0.0.0/8
RULE=10.0.0.3:55000
RULE=10.0.0.2:35000
# NAPSTER
RULE=:6699,10.0.0.0/8
RULE=:6700,10.0.0.0/8

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part