[huskerlug] Re: The Pirate of Redmon - or - MS still stealing other peoples software]

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:38:29 -0600

This points out two things:
1)   Either things like the "Object Bench" are so obvious that any yomen
programmer could develop it, which illustrates the stupidity of software
patents,
2) AND/OR Microsoft is busily scrounging "new" technology from the FOSS
community.  This raises the question of how much other FOSS is in
WIndows/VISTA. (Especially VISTA, since it copies the MAC so closely and
the MAC copied freeBSD).

Paul Andrews wrote:
> Not that it helps the "broken" USTPO, but this BlueJ issue seems to have
> been resolved in a quick and peaceful manor.  If nothing else it shows that
> some members of the organization in question are human after all.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2007/01/28/update-response-to-bluej-patent-issues.aspx
> http://www.bluej.org/mrt/?p=23
>
> Paul
>
> On 1/30/07, GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have no doubt that Microsoft has applied for a patent on breathing, but
>>
>> we won't be able to find out about it until the grant announcement and
>> then
>> we'll all get sued for breathing without a license from Microsoft.   How
>> does 1 penny per breath, payable in advance for 80 years of breathing
>> sound?  That $5,045.76 for each child, payable at birth, or you'll be
>> hearing from the BSA.
>>
>> Here is a patent they received on Jan 5th, 2007 for being able to click a
>> button to record a program when a commercial for that program is being
>> shown.  TIVO has been doing that for years.
>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070104/082522.shtml
>>
>> They are actively stealing everything in sight.
>>

>> --
>> =========
>> GreyGeek
>> =========
>> Remember, a consumer is a customer with no choice.
>> DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'
>>

>> ----
>> Husker Linux Users Group mailing list
>> To unsubscribe, send a message to huskerlug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> with a subject of UNSUBSCRIBE