[huskerlug] Re: Security from A to Z: Open source MYTHS

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:25:55 -0600

You can bet your life that you'll need anti-virus and Trojan software,
along with a REAL firewall to replace the ICF that Microsoft supplies.
If you use IEn and click on any of many web pages you'll get infected.
Period.

I just got an email from ZDNet.  The lead story is that Microsoft's
anti-virus package in VISTA FAILS to protect VISTA from viruses!
What new?
JLK

Jim Worrest wrote:
> The article really was complaining about bugs in Firefox, and there have been
> some found in it.  The article was about open source software, and I'd dare
> say
> that more people have heard and used Firefox than they have Linux.
>
> I sometimes think some virus programs are a virus themselves. I removed AVG
> instead of getting the paid version, and my Windows 98 on that program would
> not
> let any updated or new program access the Internet! :-(  Yes I turned of the
> firewall and even put in a new one, but that didn't solve the problem.  While
> one need spyware programs, I don't know if you even need a virus program if
> don't read email on Windows.  ---Jim
>
> GreyGeek wrote:
>
>> " Microsoft, leader of the closed-source world, makes more headlines
>> than any other software maker when it comes to security. But that's
>> because the company's products are used by nearly all PC users, not
>> because Microsoft software has more vulnerabilities."
>>

>> That sentence sums up the purpose of that article... to exonerate
>> Microsoft of its many security sins, while impeaching Linux and FOSS
>> projects WITHOUT proof.    Now they are paying Stanford and Symantec to
>> HUNT for bugs in popular FOSS apps?
>>
>> That shouldn't be hard for Symantec.  They can "find" them out of thin air.
>>
>> In 2002 I searched their virus database for viable Linux bugs.  I found
>> 42.   Of those, only six had been found in the wild,  the most recent
>> being 4 years prior.  The other 36 bugs were found on "2 0r fewer" PCs
>> and had "low" (read NO) risk.   Now, I wondered how Symantec could find
>> so many sterile bugs on so few PCs?  For a bug to be caught it has to be
>> ACTIVE and it has to catch the attention of the victim, who then reports
>> it to developers or security orgs.     This CAN'T happen 36 times with
>> JUST "TWO PCs, OR FEWER".  My conclusion was that these bugs were failed
>> virus projects by Symantec, tying to cook up viral agents to seed their
>> Linux anti-virus mine, but being used to seed their Linux virus "count".
>>
>> A couple years later someone on LT asked about Linux vulnerability and
>> stated the same myth that C/Net repeated in this "news" article.  I went
>> back to Symantec to do another search and found they had over 400 Linux
>> viruses listed!   Wow!  I decided to research them.  However, Symantec
>> had changed its format for displaying Linux viruses and it now took
>> half a dozen drill downs to arrive at the crucial data -- method of
>> attack, severity of attack, and threat level -- for a single virus.
>> This needless increase in complexity was, in my opinion, NO accident.
>> I drilled down on about 125 of them,  taking the better part of a day,
>> and discovered that ALL of them were actually WINDOWS viruses (*.exe's
>> or *.jpg's) with the word "Linux" in their names!  This was during that
>> time when there was a lot of media hysteria about WIndows AND Linux
> [...]

=========
GreyGeek
=========
Remember, a consumer is a customer with no choice.
DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'