[huskerlug] Re: Rapid SuperComputers

  • From: Sam Tetherow <tetherow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:35:39 -0500

It's a cool idea and I wish them well, but from farther down the web page...

"We think that a group of folks should be able to get together and study
whatever they want, and they should be able to use a supercomputer to
help them. So if a high school science class wanted to study the ozone
hole using a supercomputer model, they could create a FlashMob
supercomputer in a few hours and start running their model today. If a
group of neighbors were worried about how a local gas station's
underground gas tank might leak into the drinking water if the tank ever
cracked, they could use Flash Mob Computing to model the scenario. In
short, we hope Flash Mob Computing will democratize supercomputing. That
is to say, it will make supercomputing accessible to everyone. To us,
that's a very exciting idea."

Right, I can just see my neighbors trying to model the local gas
station's underground gas tank.   Heck, I can't imagine me trying to
model it and I'm probably the most techno literate person on my block,
never the less, a 10 GB LAN party is something I think just about anyone
can appreciate :)