[huskerlug] Re: PCLinuxOS

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:58:03 -0500

On Thursday 22 June 2006 8:11 pm, Jim Worrest wrote:
>     I have been playing around with it some. One thought about it, well
> maybe two. ;-)

I tried the 0.92 version.  Is that the one you used?

I found PCLinuxOS to have great eye-appeal and to be very well built.   So
much so that I decided to try Mandriva as a comparison.   IMO, PCLinuxOS is a
better Madriva than Mandriva.

But, there are only 4,000 apps in the repository and if one starts looking for
apps not in their repository, like at RPM Bone, you have to use the Mandrake
9.2 version, which is getting long in the tooth.  The other problem I had was
than when I attempted to install apps that were not from the repository I
often encountered the classic dependency hell problem --  z requires y which
requires x which requires w, but replacing w would create conflicts with r,
s, t, u and v.  These dependency problems were one reason why I left RPM
based distros.   Debian based distros have 20,000 apps to choose from and I
have not encountered any dependency problems while using Synaptic.

After a day of trying to get PCLinuxOS to the same state I had
SimplyMEPIS-3.4.3 in, I gave up and put  SimplyMEPIS back on.  But, if your
only use of PCLinuxOS is to use OOo, FireFox and KMail then you couldn't find
an easier to use, more eye-pleasing distro.
GreyGeek