[huskerlug] Re: Mepis vs SuSE

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:00:17 -0500

        I almost always used Synaptic with apt-get, though on rare
occasions I would use apt-get alone.  I have always used it on
SuSE, usually on Kanotix and Knoppix, and always on Mepis. I
think when I tried a complete upgrade on Mepis, it turned it into
junk.  However, on individual files it always worked, except with
Acroread (Acrobat) 7.0 and then no pdf files could be read.
Apparently it kept my older acroread around, because when I
removed 7.0, it seemed to revert back to an older version, and
worked again.
        There's not enough quality control on apt-get for SuSE, as I
mentioned, Bibletime 1.5 didn't work right. When it comes to the
desktop, Mepis is very satisfactory, and if I had to chose
between Mepis and SuSE, and could only have one on a hard-disk,
it would end up being Mepis. I don't have to make that choice, at
the moment, however.