[huskerlug] Re: Meetings with the new semester and such

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 02:14:05 -0600

    I would sure like to hear about qemu, and setting it up.  I know
there's a qemu-launcher, but I suppose that might only work on
FreeBSD, and perhaps Gentoo?
    I would think newbies would always need help, I mean beside me, who
always find something new to overcome! Getting WINE to work on FreeBSD
is one of my problems, at the moment. But getting Realplayer and a few
other programs to work can be a challenge and a strong desire for
newbies.  All the fun things that can be done with Gimp or OpenOffice.
If you want to encourage the use of Linux, Newbies should be told about
Mepis, Knoppix, Kanotix, and PClinuxOS, for starters.  There are many
topics that you might want to point out to the new user, or to that
dormer down the hall, who needs to be weaned off of Windows.  ---Jim