[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

> Speed increases are definitely present when compiling with
> the -o3 optimizations.
I haven't tested the speedup from the different CFLAGS, but I always hoped
it was worth doing, but the `-03` does have its downfall as it makes
debugging software much harder.  I had my fill of gdb in college so I stay
away from that one when I can. ;-)

Do you use binaries on your notebook or are you just not worried about
leaving in running for an extended period of time when initially installing
your system?  That's the biggest hold back I've had from putting Gentoo on
my 'book.  Synaptic/apt-get/binary distros are quite nice for that usage.

> I'm never going back to anything RPM based.

Honestly, I couldn't agree more with this statement... I come from a
RedHat/Fedora background though.  RPM-hell just isn't worth the trouble.

Paul