[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

  • From: "Charles Leslie" <charles.leslie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:19:04 -0600

> I usually don't run into any problems with packages getting hosed, and I've
> been running Gentoo for almost three years now.  Although, I do enjoy the
> "struggle" to update some packages.  Is that masochistic? Probably... but it
> is my entertainment.  What is nice though is when my brother is having
> trouble compiling a package of some kind (he likes Debian based distros) and
> I have already run into the problem and found the answer on gentoo's
> forums.  But I defiantly wouldn't recommend this for everyone (not even to
> my brother).

Gentoo users sometimes remind me of ultralight backpackers who cut the
edges off their maps and the end off their toothbrush to save weight.
Unnecessary? maybe.  But I guess there is something to be said about
knowing that you went to that level.

I know a crazy Linux hermit that still runs a Redhat 4.2 box, or
that's what it originally was.  It's not anymore, he's updated nearly
ever component from source, even recompiling multiple new versions of
the GNU compiler and core system libraries.  He installs everything
from source, and the amount he has learned by doing it is hard to
dispute.  But, for me, sometimes reading man pages and code, for days
on end, isn't worth it when you can just do... apt-get, and get on
with your valuable life. :)