[huskerlug] Re: GUIs & Knowledge

  • From: "Jordan Wilberding" <reter7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:47:58 -0600

Hello,

     How can you say you hope there isn't any computer illiterate people on
this LUG? How can people joining the Linux world get to know how to do
things if LUG's don't even want to except them? Wasn't Linux setup with a
common idea of people helping others? We all started by being computer
illiterate and having to search for answers, and yes I know you will argue
that they can go read a book or README file, but there are some problems
that only experience will solve. Which is why a LUG like this one should
except computer-literate as well as computer-illiterates.

     As for your complaints about people who use GUIs and cheat themselves
out of knowledge; there are many reasons why people would choose a GUI. One
reason would be most people don't have time to look at the specific workings
of every little protocol and function that a computer can possess. This
would simply take to long and many people would rather work on what they
want to and improve the certain area they are in and have a general
knowledge of other areas so they have a nice rounded computer education.
Thats just my thoughts anyways.

-Jordan Wilberding