[huskerlug] Re: Fragmentation in FAT/FAT32/NTFS , Ext2/3, and Mac hfs/hfs+,etc.

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:32:20 -0600

        Even Windows XP has a defrag program. :-)
What I understand is that Linux defrags whenever it gets
the chance -- as long as there is enough free space on
the had drive.  The XFS system while good is not that
common in Linux.  There seems to be an ongoing discussion in
FreeBSD to implement some type of Journaling system. To be
fair to the M$ I don't think I ever had a BSOD because of
file system failure, though I had my share of them for
other reasons. :-(  ---Jim