[huskerlug] Beryl on PCLinuxOS_2007 (which is just out in beta)

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HuskerLug <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:14:18 -0600

I downloaded the iso and burned the CD.
It booted nicely on my m675prr Gateway laptop with an ATI 9700 video chip.

I went to the configuration tool and activated Beryl.    It ran
beautifully, for the most part.  There are some circumstances where the
desktop pauses during updates.  Grabbing the title bar to a Konqueror
window and moving it back and forth produced the famous jello effect.
However, dragging the bottom of the frame down resulted in a jumpy
behavior, as does grabbing and dragging the side of the frame.   Using
Ctrl+Alt plus one of the arrow keys snaps the desktop between numbers.
Apps snap open, and close more slowing by shrinking.

All in all, Beryl in PCLinuxOS_2007 is very nice.  But, it comes at a
cost for my laptop.   PCLinuxOS p93a allowed me to easily configure my
broadcom 4306 wireless chip.  Not so with the new release.   It's
built-in driver bcm43xx doesn't fire my chip and it cannot be rmmoded
because ieee80211 needs it.  You can't remove ieee80211 becuase bcm43xx
needs it.  Catch-22, which blocks my ability to connect to the internet,
even using ndiswrapper.

While looking at the lsmod listing I noticed that PCLinux)S_2007 comes
preconfigured  for about every video capability Linux offers, so even if
I was able to remove ieee80211 there were five or six other drivers
which required bcm43xx and visa-versa.   TextStar has created a real
problem for himself.

--
=========
GreyGeek