[human-electrophysiology] Re: Any ideas about summing ERPs?

  • From: "Atlanta Flitton" <a.flitton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: human-electrophysiology@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:48:27 +0100

We are looking at the processing of spoken words and the differences when
you have visual information (ie: the face and articulatory movements AVF)
vs. when you just hear a word (the auditory condition A) or when you just
see the articulatory movements but no sound (the visual condition V).  In
previous work on interaction effects they use the formula

AV = (A+V)-AV

It is to show that the change you see (in the ERP) for the audio-visual
condition is not just a summation of the two mono-stimulation conditions
(the A and the V).

I can get the Grand Averages for all conditions AV, A and V individually,
but I'm not sure how to "add" the A and V conditions.  My logic tells me
that what you do is just do an average for all you're A and V ERPs, but I'm
not sure if this is the way it is done.

Or I wondered if there was a way of adding the grand averages?  I don't want
a difference wave (I can do that but it is not adding, it is subtraction).

I hope this explains it a bit better, but if not let me know because it is
important that I fully understand what I'm trying to do so if I'm really bad
at explaining I will revise.

Many thanks,

Atlanta