[holmescctech] Great Article with VirtualBox and Win 7!

  • From: "Wiltz Cutrer" <wcutrerjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <holmescctech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:03:23 -0600

Thought y’all may enjoy!

Feed: the How-To Geek
Posted on: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:00 AM
Author: Matthew Guay
Subject: How To Run XP Mode in VirtualBox on Windows 7

A few weeks ago we showed you how to run XP Mode on a Windows 7 computer
without Hardware Virtualization using VMware. Some of you have been asking if
it can be done in Virtual Box as well. The answer is “Yes!” and here we’ll show
you how.

Earlier we showed you how to run
  XP mode on windows 7 machines without hardware virtualization capability.
Since then, a lot of you have been asking to a write up a tutorial about doing
the same thing using VirtualBox. VirtualBox is a popular free virtualization
solution from Oracle (formally Sun), and it runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
X.  It is compatible with a wide range of guest operating systems, and also
does not require hardware virtualization.  This makes it another great way to
run XP Mode if your computer does not have hardware virtualization.  Here we’ll
see how to import the XP Mode from Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or
Ultimate into VirtualBox so you can run XP in it for free!

Note: You need to have Windows 7 Professional or above to use XP Mode in this
manner. In our tests we were able to get it to run on Home Premium as well, but
you’ll be breaking Windows 7 licensing agreements.

Getting Started

First, download and install XP Mode (link below).  There is no need to download
Virtual PC if your computer cannot run it, so just download the XP Mode from
the link on the left.

 sshot-80 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sshot80.png>

Install XP mode; just follow the default prompts as usual.

 sshot-81 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sshot811.png>

Now, download and install VirtualBox (link below).  Install as normal, and
simply follow the default prompts.

 sshot-18 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot18.png>

VirtualBox may notify you that your network connection will be reset during the
installation.  Press Yes to continue.

 sshot-48 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot48.png>

During the install, you may see several popups asking you if you wish to
install device drivers for USB and Network interfaces.  Simply click install,
as these are needed for VirtualBox to run correctly.

 sshot-55 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot55.png>

Setup only took a couple minutes, and doesn’t require a reboot.

 sshot-58 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot58.png>

Setup XP Mode in VirtualBox:

First we need to copy the default XP Mode so VirtualBox will not affect the
original copy.  Browse to C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode, and copy the file
“Windows XP Mode base.vhd”.  Paste it in another folder of your choice, such as
your Documents folder.

 image <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image22.png>

Once you’ve copied the file, right-click on it and click Properties.

 image <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image23.png>

Uncheck the “Read-only” box in this dialog, and then click Ok.

 image <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image24.png>

Now, in VirtualBox, click New to create a new virtual machine.

 sshot-60 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot60.png>

Enter the name of your virtual machine, and make sure the operating system
selected is Windows XP.

 sshot-61 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot61.png>

Choose how much memory you want to allow the virtual machine to use.
VirtualBox’ default is 192 Mb ram, but for better performance you can select
256 or 512Mb.

 sshot-62 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot62.png>

Now, select the hard drive for the virtual machine.  Select “Use existing hard
disk”, then click the folder button to choose the XP Mode virtual drive.

 sshot-64 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot64.png>

In this window, click Add, and then browse to find the copy of XP Mode you
previously made.

Make sure the correct virtual drive is selected, then press Select.

After selecting the VHD your screen should look like the following then click

Verify the settings you made are correct. If not, you can go back and make any
changes. When everything looks correct click Finish.

 sshot-68 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot68.png>

Setup XP Mode

Now, in VirtualBox, click start to run XP Mode.

The Windows XP in this virtual drive is not fully setup yet, so you will have
to go through the setup process.

 sshot-72 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot72.png>

If you didn’t uncheck the “Read-only” box in the VHD properties before, you may
see the following error.  If you see it, go back and check the file to makes
sure it is not read-only.

 sshot-71 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot71.png>

When you click in the virtual machine, it will capture your mouse by default.
Simply press the right Ctrl key to release your mouse so you can go back to
using Windows 7.  This will only be the case during the setup process; after
the Guest Additions are installed, the mouse will seamlessly move between
operating systems.

 sshot-70 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot70.png>

Now, accept the license agreement in XP.

 sshot-73 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot73.png>

Choose your correct locale and keyboard settings.

 sshot-74 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot74.png>

Enter a name for your virtual XP, and an administrative password.

 sshot-76 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot76.png>

Check the date, time, and time zone settings, and adjust them if they are
incorrect.  The time and date are usually correct, but the time zone often has
to be corrected.

 sshot-77 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot77.png>

XP will now automatically finish setting up your virtual machine, and then will
automatically reboot.

After rebooting, select your automatic update settings.

 sshot-80 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot80.png>

You may see a prompt to check for drivers; simply press cancel, as all the
drivers we need will be installed later with the Guest Additions.

 sshot-82 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot82.png>

Your last settings will be finalized, and finally you will see your XP desktop
in VirtualBox.

 sshot-83 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot83.png>

Please note that XP Mode may not remain activated after importing it into

 sshot-426 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot426.png>

When you activate it, use the key that is located at C:\Program Files\Windows
XP Mode\key.txt.

Now we have one final thing to install – the VirtualBox Guest Additions.  In
the VirtualBox window, click “Devices” and then select “Install Guest

This should automatically launch in XP; if it doesn’t, click Start, then My
Computer, and finally double-click on the CD drive which should say VirtualBox
Guest Additions.

 image <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image26.png>

Simply install with the normal presets.

 sshot-85 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot85.png>

You can select to install an experimental 3D graphics driver if you wish to try
to run games in XP in VirtualBox; however, do note that this is not fully
supported and is currently a test feature.

 sshot-86 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot86.png>

You may see a prompt informing you that the drivers have not passed Logo
testing; simply press “Continue Anyway” to proceed with the installation.

  image <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image27.png>

When installation has completed, you will be required to reboot your virtual

 sshot-89 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot89.png>

Now, you can move your mouse directly from Windows XP to Windows 7 without
pressing Ctrl.

 sshot-90 <http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sshot90.png>

Integrating with Windows 7

Once your virtual machine is rebooted, you can integrate it with your Windows 7
desktop.  In the VirtualBox window, click Machine and then select “Seamless

In Seamless mode you’ll have the XP Start menu and taskbar sit on top of your
Windows 7 Start and Taskbar.

Here we see XP running on Virtual Box in Seamless Mode. We have the old XP
WordPad sitting next to the new Windows 7 version of WordPad.

Another view of everything running seamlessly together on the same Windows 7

Hover the pointer over the XP taskbar to pull up the Virtual Box menu items.

You can exit out of Seamless Mode from the VirtualBox menu or using “Ctrl+L”.

Then you go back to having it run separately on your desktop again.

Running XP Mode in a Virtual Machine is a great way to experience the feature
on computers without Hardware Virtualization capabilities.

If you prefer VMware Player, then you’ll want to check out our articles on how
to run
  XP Mode on Windows 7 machines without Hardware Virtualization, and how to
  an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Premium and Vista.

Download VirtualBox <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>

Download XP <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx>  Mode

 Got an opinion to share? Click here to join the discussion

Similar Articles

Productive Geek Tips

*       Using
  Windows 7 or Vista Compatibility Mode
*       Make
  Safari Stop Crashing Every 20 Seconds on Windows Vista
*       Force
  Windows 7 / Vista to Boot Into Safe Mode Without Using the F8 Key
*       How To Run
Chrome OS in VirtualBox
*       Switch
  Windows by Hovering the Mouse Over a Window in Windows 7 or Vista

*       TouchFreeze
Alternative in AutoHotkey
*       The Icy <http://productivegeek.com/forums/topic/icy-undertow>  Undertow
*       Windows
Home Server – Backup to LAN
*       The Clear <http://productivegeek.com/forums/topic/clear-clean>  & Clean
*       Use
  This Bookmarklet to Easily Get Albums
*       Use
  AutoHotkey to Assign a Hotkey to a Specific Window

Latest Software Reviews

Tinyhacker Random Tips

*       Revo <http://www.howtogeek.com/reviews/revo-uninstaller-pro/>
Uninstaller Pro
*       Registry
<http://www.howtogeek.com/reviews/registry-mechanic-9-for-windows/>  Mechanic 9
for Windows
*       PC
Tools Internet Security Suite 2010
*       PCmover <http://www.howtogeek.com/reviews/pcmover-professional/>

*       A <http://tinyhacker.com/hacks/a-list-of-blog-editors-for-mac/>  List
of Blog Editors for Mac
*       Two <http://tinyhacker.com/hacks/two-cool-ways-to-use-google-docs/>
Cool Ways to use Google Docs
*       Support
  Details Makes Life with Tech Support Easier
*       Why <http://tinyhacker.com/hacks/we-miss-leo-laporte-on-techtv/>  we
miss Leo Laporte daily on TechTV
*       How
  to Manage Playback & Recording Audio Devices in Windows 7
*       Tableau
 Public – Brilliant Data Visualization Tool