[hllug] Re: via the Austin QRP group

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:24:59 -0600

Lee Parmeter wrote:
WB5BKL wrote:
from the Make e-Zine:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/02/100_linux_wallwart_launches.html

Fabulous product. Great automation platform and could run a Linux based
embedded control kernel like SoftPLC (my employer).

http://softplc.com/splcdata.php

Hey thanks Guys this is a real interesting subject to me, I surely live in interesting times and to balance that curse I have interesting frins. I am trying to understand how this works. guess a simple thing would be turning on the morning coffee, huh?

I think I see a way to help my super kind frins who take time every month to drive to my hermit spot and haul my sorry ass to the Doc 15mi and then do a Wally's, $General, GodWins Market, USPS and feed store taking 3hrs of their time, even helping in putting stuff away with manning a wheelbarrow through a minefield of 'dog digs' and now <RANT>the doc wants me to make a trip in 6days ahead of my apt to do some blood test BS. I know my problem is from embedded lead and both chemical /radiation exposure in my 7yrs of USN but the denial is there firmly in place so the test only test the chems in my blood so he can collect his consulting fee and support St-Jo's LAB, I term it (HOBBS) the harvest of baby boomers scheme</RANT>

Anyway having a real insider (Lee) to this device I am real interested to see if I can help my kind frins use a puter to help them with local on the spot weather. Forgive me Lee for being so verbose but has to be simple for me to 'getit'

Ok I got a set of 4 units (Xmas present) that has one outside unit that broadcast RF the current temp and Humidity every few seconds and that is picked up by one of the inside units. 2nd unit is listening to a NOAA sat and shows local forecast and the current Barometric pressure, the third unis is an 'Atomic' clock that keeps same time as my puter is set to receive and since it stays right to the sec with my main server must both be working. Ok so last yr my frins suffered a big loss cause one night a cold down draft hit them and wiped out several beds of blooming tomatoes, total surprise but happened at like 2AM if they had been warned they could have deployed covers over the bed that were sitting right there but time they woke at 5am the damage was already done.

Seems to me if just Temp, wind and humidity were monitored and could ring the phone or a bell could mean the diff in losing 2 full months or even the entire yr of income type damage to production that could be prevented or at least mitigated. My friends lost all the plants that had just been transplanted from the starting Greenhouse to the production beds so they lost all the 6weeks of starting growth stock then when the replanted beds were just near ready the drought hit and wiped them with 40% less poduction and the weakened plants succumbed to resulting pin-worm invasion.

Can you tell me like what units would be needed to be used and how to plug some system like this together? I mean this is a huge problem for tiny 40acre and a mule income family farms there is surely a need and of course a market.
Thanks Lee any help you can offer will receive a grateful attention.
Herb C