[hllug] Re: gedit/tools/autocheck spell

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 01:31:42 -0600

Don Crowder wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:04:21 -0600
herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can someone tell me how to reverse the gedit/tools/autocheck spell so that it is active on all documents by default. I kan't figer thet
ought. I use it for all my basic writing and paste-up files. A second
question would be how to change the file menu history to show the
past xxfiles instead of 5. Google led me to dozens search
'gedit/tools/autocheck spelling default setting change' but all say
summpin like this.

To check the spelling automatically, choose Tools ▸ Autocheck
Spelling. To unset the automatic spell check, choose Tools ▸
Autocheck Spelling again. When automatic spell checking is set, an
icon is displayed beside the Autocheck Spelling menu item. Automatic
spell checking is unset by default, each time gedit starts.

My guess is perhaps they both could be changed in a configuration
file but I have never done that.

I can't find it either Herb.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was
something like the 'about:config' file that's in Firefox?"  I recently
put that to good use in Sidux because iceweasel 3.0.6 (as used in
Sidux) comes with a single 'X' at the upper right to close browser tabs
and I want an 'X' on each tab.  Google found it for me in short order
but google didn't help me at all with configuring Gedit.

Yeah it's a tough one I did find this post
*Re: Where does gedit store its options and preferences?*
Baba,

> Try looking here:
>
> ./.gconf/apps/gnome-settings/gedit

I found it in
/home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2/preferences

However both these list a .%gconf file and I opened one of several that show in these sub directories but it makes little sense to me because I don't know how to modify it or even if it can be. Not a work stopper just anoying to have to remember to click the menu link