[hllug] Re: email quandary

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:10:39 -0500

Lee Parmeter wrote:
Don Crowder wrote:
I enjoy using different email clients for different identities but I've
a problem with Iceape (Seamonkey) in that it opens links in its own
browser and that won't work for me.  One reason is because I save
interesting links for our ezine to my working folder in Firefox and that
means I've got to copy the URL in Iceape and paste it into a new Firefox
window (or tab) in order to save the link in my working folder.  Aside
from that, Firefox is my browser of choice; I want to use the Iceape
email client, not the browser but if I try to remove the browser, the
email client is removed with it.  I'm sure there's a config file
somewhere for the email client which I could probably edit but I'm not
knowledgeable enough to find it, much less edit it.  Suggestions?
Thanks

Don, did you get any good advise from other lists on resolving your problem?

I originally stopped using Iceape (Seamonkey) because it insisted on using its own browser instead of my chosen default. I switched to Sylpheed Claws and was happy with it but after my most recent major crash (see my latest post to Lockergnome) Sylpheed wasn't sending mail any longer (pop3 worked ok but smtp was broken for some reason). Instead of trying to figure it out I just switched back to Iceape but that brought me up against the original problem. I actually prefer Iceape to Sylpheed so I thought I'd take another shot at resolving the problem but when I didn't have any luck, last night I reinstalled Sylpheed. It works fine now.

My friend Stevie, who's now using Linux Mint and ought to be on this email list (I'm still working on him), suggested that, because Iceape was, essentially, a mozilla app, I should try typing
about:config<enter>
into the browser address bar (this accesses an enormous list of parameters in Iceweasel/Firefox) and that actually worked but I wasn't able to find a parameter defining the default browser. For the time being, I'm content to have Sylpheed Claws working again (but thanks for asking).
--
Don