[hllug] Ubuntu Edgy to Feisty upgrade

  • From: Bubba's Geek <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:56:14 -0500

My Ubuntu Edgy to Feisty upgrade Experience:

I upgraded my Dell i9300 laptop Friday night and found it to be by far
the easiest upgrade yet! The Ubuntu mirrors were a little busy so it
took about 3 hours to get all 1400 packages download and then another
hour plus to install. There were a few pauses along the way were the
user is asked whether he wants a /etc/*.conf file updated; you can
examine the differences before making a decision. I said yes to all but
made a couple of notes along the way so I could restore a few custom
settings. After a reboot, the laptop was up and running almost perfectly!.

One improvement I saw immediately was that the Pentium-M CPU switches to
full speed more quickly thus improving the performance of the machine.

During the download and install of the upgrade, I used the wired
Ethernet port instead of the wireless. So I found that iI had to disable
the wired Ethernet network port (eth0) and set the default settings to
DHCP to get Network-Manager to find and connect to my wireless network
again. However this has been required by previous releases as well.

I did find that "nvu" and "acroread" were no longer in the repository.
However, "acroread" can be added by adding a 3rd party repository known
as Mediabuntu:

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/index.php

There is an new "Add/Remove" feature in the "Applications" menu  that
should make it easy for a new Linux user to find an application for a
particular purpose. There is quite a bit of information provided about
each available application in non-geek English!

One other thing that is new is "Desktop Effects" in the
"System-Preferences" menu.  The default configuration uses Compiz which
requires that your video driver support the "composite" extension. If
you have an nvidia video chip set, you are in luck! Unfortunately, my
Dell i9300 laptop has an ATI Mobile X300 video chip set and ATI's Fglrx
binary driver  does  not support the composite extension. An alternative
to Compiz is Beryl and it does not require the composite extension. I
have not pursued this yet as it takes quite a bit of CPU power to run
the 3D effects and  related eye candy which would be better put to use
doing other tasks. Also, Compiz and Beryl are in the process of merging
the two projects which should provide a single solution in the next
Ubuntu release in October 2007.

-Lee