[hllug] Re: Smoldering Firewall

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:44:13 -0500

Cranz Nichols wrote:
This afternoon I tried the DSL-assisted HD install of m0n0wall referenced in my note below. Worked great: I substituted an old 500Mb HD for the one with the Ubuntu 7.10 OS. DSL ran just fine from the CD and found the network right away. I downloaded the image file and stored it in RAM. Then I unzipped it and installed it on the substitute HD. Rebooted (and removed the DSL CD) and there was m0n0wall running on the hard disc. Pretty slick. This evening I got around to configuring it and got the web-based interface up. I duplicated (as best as I could remember) the configuration that Lee had installed about a month ago in Marble Falls. Rebooted. Hard drive failed. Sigh. I have another HD (much newer - and larger too). Tomorrow is another day. I am now pretty sure that this will eventually end up with compact flash as the storage medium...

I've got one or two small HDD's (2.5 GB and under). You're certainly welcome to one if you need it. Let me know, I can bring it to the next meeting.
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com
http://www.lockergnome.com/eldergeek/
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch