[hllug] Re: Potential converts

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:44:29 -0600

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 19:00:27 -0600
WB5BKL <wb5bkl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My friends, the Tanners, have expressed some interest in Linux after
> the usual disappointments with their aging Windows XP installation.
>
> Could our group come up with a machine with a beginner's distro
> (perhaps Ubuntu) for a test-drive?  It would need to have appropriate
> software/hardware for a dial-up network connection.  I have one of the
> old ComPaqs (with Ubuntu 7.?? and a modem) that I could donate, but it
> is really pretty old technology and not too zippy.
>
> I have proselytized them about Linux, including the advantages of free
> software, inherent security and the near-complete absence of e-mail
> viri.

I have an 800 MHz P3 machine which has 256 MB of RAM.  It's currently
got PCLinuxOS on it but that's easy to change and I'm pretty sure I
have at least one USR external modem.  Here's the best deal going on
dialup service.   https://accnet.com/cgi-bin/signup/vt/signup.pl

--
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com