[hllug] Re: Potential converts

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:07:14 -0600

First off, I would d/l Ubuntu and boot that from the CD. For a start, that would let them see if their hardware was up to snuff and second, let them see if any of it makes sense.

And all w/o screwing up their XP.

And, what's wrong with their XP?  How much RAM?  What is the PC anyway?

Clearing out (once you find all of them) the Temp dirs can help. Empty Recycle Bin. Un-install the crapware like browser toolbars. Like, what the hell is running in the background? Task Manager is your friend. How much free disk space do they have? Then Defrag. Are they up to date with silly things like "virus scanner" and "windows update"?

All a pain in the ass but it all matters.

paul

WB5BKL said the following on 2/2/2009 7:00 PM:
My friends, the Tanners, have expressed some interest in Linux after the
usual disappointments with their aging Windows XP installation.

Could our group come up with a machine with a beginner's distro (perhaps
Ubuntu) for a test-drive?  It would need to have appropriate
software/hardware for a dial-up network connection.  I have one of the
old ComPaqs (with Ubuntu 7.?? and a modem) that I could donate, but it
is really pretty old technology and not too zippy.

I have proselytized them about Linux, including the advantages of free
software, inherent security and the near-complete absence of e-mail
viri.

cln
Meanest Man on Emeralds Drive

   http://remsset.com

   The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.
                                                 -Oscar Wilde