[hllug] Multimedia distros.

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "HLLUG" <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:32:53 -0600

When I set out to build a Linux based home recording system I learned that,
like all things Linux, there were more choices than I knew how to cope with.

I felt relatively confident that I wanted an installed Operating System
rather than a Live CD so I ruled out Musix and Dynebolic fairly quickly
http://musix.org.ar/en/
http://dynebolic.org/
but that made the array of choices only slightly less complicated.  Ecasound
looked interesting
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound/index.php
but I wasn't really able to understand the difference between Ecasound and
TK Ecasound
http://tkeca.sourceforge.net/
so I shelved them pending further information and took a brief look at
Traverso.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/traverso/
I decided that Traverso wasn't quite ready for "prime time" so I moved on
and happily discovered Agnula.
http://www.agnula.info/

After some additional research I felt that Agnula combined with Ardour
http://ardour.org/
was exactly what I wanted for my home recording system.  I was pretty sure I
could use Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
as an interim hands-on training aid to help me get the hang of using the
system, graduating to Ardour after I had a little experience.

Because I didn't have all the pieces I needed to build the computer itself I
continued to research the subject and ask questions of anyone who seemed to
be more knowledgeable than me.  A couple of people suggested Planet CCRMA
(CCRMA is pronounced ``karma'')
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
but, after some research, Agnula seemed more noob-user friendly.

And then I discovered linux-sound.org
http://linux-sound.org/
and found to my dismay that there were still some options I hadn't
researched.  After exploring the site for a while I wrote to the site owner,
Dave Phillips, and told him "This site is very interesting in the same way
that
a water tower is interesting to someone who's desperate for a glass of
water.".
Dave and I traded a few email back and forth and he helped me select what
I believe may just be the best Linux Distribution for my needs.  It's called
"64 Studio"
http://64studio.com/
I don't have a 64 bit machine but there's a 32 bit version and I've already
downloaded the ISO file.  When the last piece of the computer system comes
in, a 120 GB hard drive for raw data storage which should be here Monday,
I'll see if I can't burn a CD and get the OS installed.

A couple of days ago I'd have felt pretty put-upon by reading of yet another
multimedia distro; I refer of course to Lee's post regarding Ubuntu Studio
http://ubuntustudio.org/
but now that I have a modicum of confidence in the path I've chosen I'm
content to stand by it for the time being.

Now, if I could just sort out which of the under-$100 studio microphones is
best suited to my needs. *sigh*

As always, the adventure continues.

Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com