[hllug] 64 bit Linux Desktop ready for prime time!

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:42:04 -0600

From my recent experience, I am now willing to say that 64 bit Linux distribution are now ready for the desktop. Some of my concerns in the past concerned browser plugins like flash and java, but both are not available. The only main stream plugin that is missing is acrobat reader but there are other opensource pdf reader solutions.

64bit Adobe Flash Player:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Sun's Java does not have a 64 bit plugin but there is an opensoure version developed by Red Hat called IcedTea. This makes it suitable to enable support for Java applets <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_applet> in 64-bit Firefox, among others. An IcedTea pre-compiled package should be available for Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian distributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea

See this Ubuntu Forum thread (#5) for details:
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1053768&highlight=firefox+java+plugin>

I have two (2) new AMD dual core machine builds running Ubuntu 64 bit and have also installed the 64 bit version on a friends laptop. All three are running without any problems directly related to the 64 bit install.

-Lee