[hipl-users] Re: What does HIPL with TLV payloads?

  • From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:19:29 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Jesús Rojo Martínez wrote:

Hi again!,

hip_netdev_handle_acquire is called by the kernel. It will return as soon
as the i1 is sent.

It's called by the kernel... but then, Can I trigger the base exchange by
myself?

Yes, by calling hip_send_i1. See how the "hipconf rvs add" code works.

You can know it because there is hadb entry. Update signalling is
triggered by changes the address of the host.

Mmm, no way to make a call to trigger it even if the address doesn't
change?

You can, of course, force this, similarly as with i1.

The last question... I've seen that the HIP_MAX_PACKET is 2048... if I
attach a certificate, won't it be too small? Can I simple make it bigger or
that number has some reasoning behind it?

It is standardized in the base spec and you probably want to avoid fragmented HIP control packets anyway.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hip-base-07.txt

   Since all HIP headers MUST contain the sender's and receiver's HIT
   fields, the minimum value for this field is 4, and conversely, the
   maximum length of the HIP Parameters field is (255*8)-32 = 2008 bytes.

I know that certificates are long, but I have really no idea how long. You probably shouldn't send text format (xml?) certificates but rather compress them into a binary format. Maybe Teemu can offer some advice on this?

--
Miika Komu                                       http://www.iki.fi/miika/