[hipl-users] Mobilty test

  • From: "Fco. Javier Melero" <javier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users <hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:52:58 +0200

Hi you all,

I´m trying to test hipl with some ipv6 enabled applications. I have started up with ping6 and my problems only just begun.;-)

My testbed is made up of three ipv6 networks (A,B and C) connected through routers. I have got a correspondent node in net C and a mobile node roaming around A, B and C. The home network (HIT->IPV6 well known mapping) of mobile node is A. The ipv6 address and default route is taken to the nodes through stateless autoconfiguration (radvd running on router nodes). This testbed is pretty much the same proposed for testing MIPL on: http://gnist.org/~lars/doc/Mobile-IPv6-HOWTO/Mobile-IPv6-HOWTO.html#mipv6testbed

I have gotten the next results:

1.- Initial base exchange between A and C works fine.

2.- Roam from A to B and return to A works almost fine. Sometimes it is necessary to delete the old ip for the MN to trigger update location exchange. And sometimes the update is sended to the old router, so I must wait until that route is dismissed (about 10 s.) and then delete the new ip, which force it to autoconfigure again and send a new update location exchange.

3.- Roam from A to C works fine and quicker than any other case (not necessary to delete old ip). But then, going outside of C never works. No matter what I do, the update location exchange is never triggered.

And my questions are:

Is it possible to get a smoother roaming with current hipl implementation? Otherwise, I guest I should do my tests in the old fashioned way (both nodes on the same network and changing ip manually).

What is the "hipconf handoff mode" option for? I have tried both, lazy and active, and I haven´t notice any difference.

Well, thanks for reading right to the end. Any comments would be really appreciated.

Greetings.

Fco. Javier Melero de la Torre

Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Servicio de Informática y Comunicaciones
Area de Seguridad y Comunicaciones
(https://asyc.uc3m.es)

e-mail: javier@xxxxxxxxxx
phone: (+34) 916.249.980, (+34) 918.561.341
fax:   (+34) 916.249.430