[hipl-dev] Re: Copyright Attribution in HIPL

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 14:28:41 +0300

Hi,

On 04/30/2011 04:33 PM, Stefan Götz wrote:
So you call my contributions 'insubstantial'?!? ;-)

Sorry, totally forgot your current affiliation!

Well I wish there was one ;-) - no, it was just a joke, no offense taken at all.

Back to the subject:

I think it's urgent that we come to some agreement on how to handle
copyright soon. Otherwise, HIPL could just too easily fall into a
really difficult legal situation again.

I would strongly suggest that from now on we keep track of all
contributors to HIPL (including past ones) with the name, a persistent
e-mail address and the affiliation for which the contribution was
made. Ideally, this would be per file but a single central list is
better than nothing.

This list would give us some certainty about which natural persons and
which legal entities need to be considered as copyright holders. Then
at least we have that information. How to deal with that information
if ever some copyright-related question (such as re-licensing) crops
up, is then probably up to the lawyers.

Still, I think it's important to make that list now so avoid future
legal trouble. What do you say?

we have a list:

http://hipl.hiit.fi/index.php?index=people

(I think we should move some Aachen people from active to past developers)