[hipl-dev] Address order

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:46:34 -0400

Sorry for hitting both lists, but I don't know who is on which and want a broad coverage here.

I am getting a handle on how HIPL is dealing iwth the challenges of address selection. Not even getting into the challenge of multi-locator feature.

I really need mobility to work. And from v4 to v6 and back. Here is my take on the way *I* think it should work.

Default to IPv6 first.  Manual override for IPv4 first.

Obviously this is where both parties have v6 addresses...

Three modes for IPv4, in order:

Best Guess
NATed always
Never Nat

The last two should be clear as they are the current options for IPv4 behavior, it seems. Best guess works as follows:

If both parties are public IPv4 addresses, do not NAT.
If both parties are private IPv4 addresses, do not NAT.
If one party is private, do NAT.
If I1 is NATed, respond NATed.

I think this should work in most IPv4 cases and give the best results for a mobile IPv4 client. Even for mobility updates and rekeying.

But for starters, I would want to see IPv6 be the default address usage, unless switched to DNS order.