Fw: Soaring Society of America E-News

  • From: Harris Hill <soarhhsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HHSC Freelist <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Mechelle Radcliff <mradcliff@xxxxxxx>
To: soarhhsc@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, October 19, 2010 5:49:37 PM
Subject: Soaring Society of America E-News

The Soaring Society of America E-Newsletter

Quick Links
Register Now
News
Related Topics
More On Us
Join Our List
 September 2010

FAA Guidance on Parallel Runway Operations

Please click on the link provided to view a memo from the FAA that is intended
to make clear that glider operations on grass strips parallel to a paved runway
are NOT prohibited by FAA rules requiring a 700 foot separation between
parallel
runways. Thanks to Steve Northcraft and Phil Umphres for obtaining this ruling
from the FAA.FAA Parallel Runway Ruling

The Pre-World is coming to the USA in Uvalde Texas in 2011.

During the dates of August 4-14 the Pre-World contest will be in Uvalde, Texas.

Many International pilots are making plans to attend, and would like to RENT
gliders for the contest. If you have a glider to offer for rent, please send
your name, and type of glider to Linda Murray, Contest Manager
(Linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). We are making a list of available gliders.
We will provide the list to the International pilots and they will contact you
for the specific arrangements.

The world is coming to Texas! The 32nd World Gliding Championships will be held
July 28-August 19, 2012 .

New FAI President Elect John Grubbstrom

Lausanne, Switzerland, John Grubbström has become the new FAI President
following his election at the FAI General Conference held from 5 to 10 October
2010 in Dublin. John Grubbström succeeded Pierre Portmann, who stepped down
from
the FAI Presidency after six years in office and was elected FAI President of
Honour.

John Grubbström is a Swedish medical doctor born in 1948. Before his election,
he held several high positions in aviation related non-profit organisations and
the FAI, which included President of the Swedish Air Sport Federation and FAI
Vice President.

"We face large challenges and change of approach is a condition for
improvement.
We need to get to use our full potential within each area; be it airspace,
safety, media, regulation, youth recruitment or other areas of our joint
concern. After all, no one knows air sports better than we! Each of us has some
second competence we can contribute with; our collective competence is
overwhelming. Common well known goals where everybody contributes on national
and international levels are paramount. Each and every one of us must step down
from the gallery and join the team in the field," said John Grubbström.

A holder of the Hot Air Private Balloon License since 1974, John Grubbström has
been a frequent competitor (he took part in the World Air Games 2009 in Turin)
and official in hot air ballooning, having flown in over 20 countries on all
continents. He has been a Jury member, Steward and Competition Director of
numerous events, including World championships.

Honorary President of the Swedish Ballooning Federation since 1985, he was
awarded with the FAI Airsport Medal in 1998 and with the Royal Swedish Aero
Club
Gold Medal in 2004.

About the FAI
The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the World Air Sports
Federation, is the world governing body for air sports and for certifying world
aviation and space records. The FAI (www.fai.org) was founded in 1905 and is a
non-governmental and non-profit-making organisation.

Kolstad Youth Scholarship

The Kolstad Youth Scholarship committee has just announced that the amount of
the award given to the recipients of the scholarship will be $5,000! That can
go
a long way to help a young soaring pilot with college expenses such as tuition,
books, room & board, etc. Due to fund raising activities and gifts, we are very
happy to be able to significantly raise the award from previous levels. We
truly
hope that this new level will inspire young soaring pilots to apply for this
prestigious award!

SSA Has A New Badge "Dude"

We are pleased to announce we have filled the position for the badge and record
position. Rollin Hasness, who lives in the great state of Washington has
accepted the position and will begin work soon. Rollin has been flying since
the
age of 16, was a member of the Civil Air Patrol during his high school and
college years. He also served in the United States Air Force for four years and
served as an air traffic controller. After the Air Force, he worked for the FAA
for thirteen years as an Air Traffic Controller. He has been a flight
instructor
of both single and multi-engine aircraft and instruments. He has flown charter
in both single and twin aircraft and advises he's been an airport "bum" during
his fifty years in aviation. Rollin will begin working with the badge and
record
committee in getting up to speed in processing badge and record claims. We hope
when you see Rollin at the gliderport you give him a big SSA welcome.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank Cindy Brickner for filling
in as our "badge lady" for the last several months. She has spent considerable
time reviewing record claims while taking care of her day job running Caracole
Soaring. Erik Mann has also been a help to us this summer in locating a new
badge person. Cindy and Erik will be instrumental in getting Rollin up and
running as your new badge person. Once again, SSA volunteers at work. Thank you!

SSA Conference in Philadelphia

Planning for the SSA Conference is taking shape and many speakers are being
scheduled (if you would like to speak, please contact Bob Lacovara,
blacovara@xxxxxxx). Several groups are hosting meal functions, and we're also
planning our annual awards banquet. The Sheraton Hotel has advised members have
already started making reservations (call 215-238-6638 - ask for the SSA group
rate).

Once again, the Soaring Safety Foundation will be hosting a FIRC on Tuesday and
Wednesday before the conference begins, as well as a Safety Seminar on
Wednesday
evening.

OSTIV will once again be hosting a Thursday evening lecture and dinner.

BLAST FROM THE PAST!! CAN YOU IDENTIFY ME?

The first person to correctly identify the person in this photo will receive
one
of SSA's hot new T-shirts. Send your guess to Mechelle at mradcliff@xxxxxxxx

Last Month's Contest Winner

Congratulations to Hank Claybourne of Oklahoma City, OK for correctly guessing
last month's photo of Joe Lincoln.

Forward email

This email was sent to soarhhsc@xxxxxxxxx by mradcliff@xxxxxxxx
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy
Policy. Email Marketing by

The Soaring Society of America | P.O. Box 2100 | Hobbs | NM | 88241