Fw: Fwd: EAA e-Alert

  • From: soarreg3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:14:41 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Newsletter EAA fivethreethree
Sent: Sep 15, 2004 7:21 AM

FYI.

Note: forwarded message attached.

New and Improved Yahoo! Mail[1] - 100MB free storage!

--- Links ---
   1
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/hm/100/evt=26230/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/efficiency.html

Subject: EAA e-Alert
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:03:34 -0500
From: "EAA Government Programs" <govt@xxxxxxx>
Sender: "Kathy Phillip" <kphillip@xxxxxxx>

> EAA URGES MEMBERS TO OPPOSE OUTRAGEOUS HOUSE BILL THAT WOULD SEVERELY =
RESTRICT GENERAL AVIATION EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (Sept. 9, =
2004) - The Experimental Aircraft Association is urging its members and =
all aviation enthusiasts to contact their Congressional representatives =
and strongly oppose a newly introduced bill by Rep. Anthony Weiner =
(D-N.Y.)=20
> This bill (H.R. 5035) would require the Department of Homeland =
Security to create a method of screening all passengers and property on =
each flight of all passenger aircraft in the U.S., including general =
aviation aircraft of all types. It would also prohibit any non-airline =
aircraft from flying within 1,500 feet of any structure or building, and =
prohibit non-airline aircraft from flying over any U.S. city with a =
population of 1 million or more. It would further require that pilots of =
all aircraft in U.S. airspace remain in contact with the Federal =
Aviation Administration, presumably by radio, regardless of altitude or =
location.
> "The extreme shortsightedness of this bill speaks for itself and =
completely counters the government's own security experts, who have =
continually stated that general aviation does not pose a significant =
security threat to the U.S.," said Doug Macnair, EAA's vice president of =
government relations. "It's sad that the solemn anniversary of the 9/11 =
terrorist attacks is being used to introduce this bill, which does =
nothing to enhance security and smacks of election-year grandstanding."
> With 17,000 landing facilities and nearly 200,000 aircraft in the =
United States, EAA maintains that it is inconceivable that the =
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and FAA could ever fund and =
administer such a plan. DHS and the Transportation Security =
Administration have repeatedly indicated that general aviation does not =
warrant such levels of security when compared to other transportation =
modes and threats.
> "We as a nation need to focus our limited resources on the most =
serious vulnerabilities and threats to our security," Macnair added. =
"TSA has made extensive studies of those threats and nowhere has that =
agency ever suggested such draconian measures as those proposed in this =
bill."
> EAA members and others can express their opposition to this bill to =
their congressional representatives by finding their contact information =
at <http://www.house.gov>. EAA immediately contacted members of the =
House Aviation Subcommittee to state its extreme opposition to this =
legislation.
> EAA, The Leader in Recreational Aviation, is an international =
association with 170,000 members and 1,000 local Chapters. To join EAA =
or for more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA =
(1-800-564-6322) or go to <http://www.eaa.org>.=20
>=20
>=20

NEW!- See HHSC Calendar on-line at  http://www.calsnet.net/hhsc - NEW!
For address changes or deletion from this e-mail list, contact
"webmaster[at_sign]harrishillsoaring.org".  To send a message to all HHSC
subscribers, simply address an e-mail to "hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx".