[hhrug] Emails and dates sent

  • From: bryanpage1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hhrug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:42:09 GMT

A couple of days ago I installed Messenger Pro 4 and was pleased with
the results.  I thought I ought to use this in earnest, so I set about
creating filters to place emails in appropriate folders.  Then for
some unknown reason I stopped receiving emails, but could still send
them.  Human nature said "what's the last thing you did", so I removed
the filters - the end result, no change.

I checked the log for POPstar and found there was an error, but more
importantly it showed me the last fetch it had done.  When I looked at
the last email received I noticed its date was 23rd March (system
clock on the senders computer incorrect?), it still hadn't dawned on
me what had gone wrong at that time.

This morning I received my first email in 3 days and it was from the
same person whose system clock was 1 month out - the date on this
email, the 26th March! I tried sending myself an email, but didn't
receive it at the Virtual RPC side of things.  I then tried something
to prove a theory I had - I set the system clock on the PC 1 month
ahead, therefore assuming a system date of 26th March.  Now back in
VRPC I sent myself an email - lo and behold I received said email!

The system (I assume POPstar, but please tell me if I'm wrong) must
know the date stamp of the last email received so when it goes to do
its next fetch it doesn't bring back any emails earlier than the last
one, which is what happened to me - my emails were correctly dated,
but because I received an email with a date in the future all emails
prior to that future date would not be fetched.

All emails sent from VRPC were received OK at the BTYahoo end of
things on the PC so there must be a difference in the conditions for
fetching emails for BTYahoo as opposed to VRPC, or Risc?

Can anybody enlighten me please? Is there a way to reset the date of
the last fetched email so I can get back on track?  Failing that, if I
don't receive any emails from my friend for a month things should sort
themselves out!

I'm still pleased with Messenger Pro 4, just can't use it to its full
potential!!  Thanks to Andrew for suggestions as to possible reasons
why no emails were forthcoming.

Thanks also to John Sandford for his thoughts on the problem.