[hephaestus-user] Hi

  • From: Gaertk@xxxxxxx
  • To: hephaestus-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:08:03 -0500

Hi Mark and anyone else lurking here...

Downloaded Hephaestus the other day (oddly enough, I was on
your website reading your killfile monologue).  Played around
a bit, and now I've got some questions (and comments, bugs,
suggestions, criticisms, wishes, etc.):

Bugs and oddities:

The welcome message for this list calls the first adventure
Hades.

When I die, sometimes the java VM crashes.  Every time I die,
I get an bunch of errors like this:

[Item 2054 riot armor].remove(): Unknown location [60 0,0 n]

for each item I was carrying.  Not sure if thats connected to
the crashes, but it shouldn't be too hard to fix (I'm
assuming its trying to remove items from a non-existent
container (the PC) and so you should have the PC destructor
clear the inventory first).

There are some map sections constisting entirely of dungeon
floor (with and without a border of grass).  These sections
show up as R and S on the map.

The 20-gauge shotgun has a range of 15.

How do you use the map editor for sample/sample.adv?

What about the maps for Umbra?  There's a file umbra/b.map ,
but trying to open that in the map editor gives this:

Error: Load from C:\konrad\Hephaestus2\umbra\b.map failed: java.lang.IllegalArgu
mentException: Unknown file type # faction:
Load from C:\konrad\Hephaestus2\umbra\b.map failed: java.lang.IllegalArgumentExc
eption: Unknown file type # faction:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown file type # faction:
        at mdh.hephaestus2.EditorModel.load(EditorModel.java:169)
        at mdh.hephaestus2.Editor.doLoad(Editor.java:778)
        at mdh.hephaestus2.Editor.doLoad(Editor.java:769)
        at mdh.hephaestus2.Editor.actionPerformed(Editor.java:205)
        at java.awt.MenuItem.processActionEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.MenuItem.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

In the tutorial ( doc/tutorial1.html ), the section where you
give the java code, the whitespace is completely lost (at
least in my browser, Netscape 4.6).

And finally, one non-reproducable bug:  the first time I
played Umbra, often when a fight ended, the main frame would
stop updating.  The text frame would update as I moved
around, but not the main frame.  I eventually found out that
opening the inventory with the Use command would correct the
problem.  This never happened again.

Hmm, this got rather long, I better save my suggestions for
another post.

--KG

--
Hephaestus RPG Construction kit