[HUG ] Re: Odious Comparison

  • From: "flexbody" <flexbody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 05:20:11 +0200

Dear Uncle Dick,

The general rule for both the Makro-Planar and the much underrated
S-Planar is to use them up to about 1m from the object.
Both these lenses were designed for close range applications.

Other lenses perform better at larger distances because they are
optimised for maximum resolution at infinity.
The 1meter thing does not imply you cannot use Macro lenses at
larger distances. They simply will not give results they can deliver if used
for the sort of distances they are designed for.

Quite a few photographers have used the Makro-Planar at infinity with
quite decent results.
Stopping down till F11 or even F16 helps under these circumstances.

I do not know what the conditions were when you did the job with the
F 150/2.8 or the Makro-Planar for that matter.
This is just an observation about lenses and how they can be used for
best results.
If you are after high resolution and mininal distortion the Makro or the
S-Planar for close range and the 100/3.5 Planar for larger distances from
about 1m are hard to beat.

The 150/2.8 Sonnar is a very good lens in its own right.
I use the FE version. That lens is optically the same as the F lens.
Only difference of course are the databus contacts and electronics.

I would be very reluctant to draw any hard conclusions from what you
photographed.
A more static subject with conditions that can be better controlled
and repeated would be advisable for that.

Richard.