[HUG] Re: For those wishing to become digits

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:37:41 -0500

On 06/11/2007, Wilko Bulte <wb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quoting Jim Brick, who wrote on Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:25:23PM -0800 ..
> > But hey... look how much you save!
>
> An arm you save.  But you will still need crutches because you will loose
> the leg.

   Someone must be buying these things. There was an article in PDN magazine
a while back that focused on these types of digital backs and what kind of
rates and clients a photographer must have to get any type of ROI on these
suckers..

   Buyers appear to be commercial photogs who shoot catalogs for JCrew etc
and Hollywood studios for promos of their films. One photog said his biggest
problem with these backs was what to do with all the files. He has all his
data backed up in triplicate. I believe he was running a RAID 5 with
terabytes of storage..

   What also came out from this was that now there are companies who will
handle all your data storage, retrieval etc for you. That once we sent our
film to be processed and now we send our digital files to be handled off
site..

   Plus que ça change..

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx