[hashcash] Re: hashcash CGI conflict

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:49:59 -0500

Justin Guyett wrote:

On 2005-01-26T09:51:08-0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I've discovered that any time I generate stamps, CGI programs will not run. from what I can tell, hashcash is running at priority 20 and CGI programs are running at priority 15. Seems to me that the CGI program should take priority and run at a reasonable speed.

Obviously I'm missing something. Suggestions?

You say it will not run, but you mean it runs slowly?

Higher priority numbers mean less cputime.

misdiagnosed problem. Jonathan Morton pointed me in the right direction. it was a lock problem. I track who gets stamps in order to open the return path. both cgi and stamper code grabbed the same lock which caused the cgi to "hang". since it was the only cgi, I never thought to check for general vrs specific problem.

deadlocks are annoying to figure out and debug. wish there were better tools for tracking locks (file and otherwise)

--- eric

--
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2004/12/18/heloise/index.html

The basis of Abelard's philosophy, which he taught to Heloise, was
that logic had to be applied to religion in order to arrive at the
truth.