[hashcash] Penny Red for Mutt

  • From: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:15:39 -0600

I got everything squared away for both the minting and verification scripts
in Python. I blogged about them here:

    http://pthree.org/2011/03/24/hashcash-and-mutt/
    http://pthree.org/2011/03/29/verifying-hashcash-tokens-with-mutt/

A friend of mine suggested that I create a project out of it, seeing as
though both scripts are a bit feature stripped. So, I launched it on
GitHub:

    https://github.com/atoponce/Penny-Red

Hashcash might be dead for the rest of the world, but from what I can tell,
antispam MTA software has support for Hashcash, such as SpamAssassin, so at
least I run the higher probability that my sent mail won't end up in the
recipient's SPAM folder. Maybe during the process, I can raise a little
advocation too, and get more people using it:

    http://identi.ca/group/hashcash
    http://twitter.com/search#search?q=%23hashcash

The great thing with both Python scripts is they can be easily implemented
into other MUA software. The mint_hashcash.py script only needs to write to
your email headers, and the verify_hashcash.py script only needs to read
the mail from STDIN and write its results to STDOUT.

Anyway, thought I'd send a head's up about the project, seeing as though
I've been bugging you this far. :)

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o