[hashcash] Re: Hi!

  • From: Atom Smasher <atom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:35:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Máté Soós wrote:

The problem with BCC, as far as I can see, is that the X-HASH value must contain the email address of the BCC recipient, which needs to be hidden. In theory, we could use some sort of masking of this email address. And if we are at hashes, why not use them (after all, they are one-way, not only 2nd-preimage-resistant). So, hash the address, and use that(or some first bytes of that) instead of the email string. We are done - hmm, well, almost. Except that if the person thinks that the email might have been sent to someone he knows the email address of, he could check. Well, nothing is perfect.What do you think?
============================

i'm using my own scripts to implement stamping outgoing mail. any address that's BCCd will generate a stamp that only goes to that particular blind recipient.

let's say i address an email:
        To: alice
        CC: bob, charlie
        BCC: diane, eric

ALL recipients will see stamps for alice, bob and charlie. only diane will see a stamp for diane; and only eric will see a stamp for eric.

-- ...atom

 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

        "When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal."
                -- Richard M. Nixon, 19 May 1977