[hashcash] Re: Announcing WebHashcash

  • From: David Schneider-Joseph <davidsj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:43:32 -0400

WebHashcash generates fully Hashcash-compliant stamp strings. The main difference between WebHashcash and the standard Hashcash distribution is that it specifies the date to the second, and it doesn't include any "0"s for padding, as I was unable to realize any significant performance improvement in Java by doing so.

You can see examples of the stamps it generates here: http://www.davidsj.com/webhashcash/demo.php

It would not be necessary to rely on my site's double-spend database. I have provided it for convenience, but anyone could write their own code to verify a stamp and check it against a local double-spend database. Existing code designed for any hashcash stamp should work for WebHashcash stamps. I may in the future provide sample code for doing that.

David

On Apr 6, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Adam Back wrote:

Some questions: the jar file appears binary only (.class files only)
so I was unable to determine by looking at source:

What is the format of the webhashcash stamps?

Also I looked a bit at the php code on your site -- would a
third-party site rely on your site to maintain the double-spend
database?

Adam

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 10:48:12PM -0400, David Schneider-Joseph wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm pleased to officially announce WebHashcash, a Java-based
implementation of Hashcash which works completely transparently on any
collaborative web site.

The WebHashcash site includes simple step-by-step instructions for
installation onto your site:

http://www.davidsj.com/webhashcash/

Thoughts?

David Schneider-Joseph