[hashcash] Re: Announcing WebHashcash

David Schneider-Joseph wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm pleased to officially announce WebHashcash, a Java-based implementation of Hashcash which works completely transparently on any collaborative web site.

The WebHashcash site includes simple step-by-step instructions for installation onto your site:

http://www.davidsj.com/webhashcash/

Thoughts?

David Schneider-Joseph

fandiddlytastic. the immediate thought that comes to my mind is as a barrier to submissions on blog comment spam. I think I would probably set things up so that comments in the first three days would be unimpeded but beyond that, increasing values of stamps would be used for submissions.

The reason for this logic is that spammers are using content entries in blogs to place their spam and make it increasingly visible by a search engines. Typically they target old entries that aren't watched to do their dirty work.

on a related out, here's an experimental engine for calculating zombies necessary to overwhelm a proof of work defense. after it and some related writings are finished, I'm going to move them to the camram site.

http://www.inguide.com/stampcalc

share and enjoy
---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.