[handiham-world] Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Courage Center Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 26
October 2011

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.
You can listen to this news online.

[image: Subscribe in iTunes]

[image: cartoon sun]

*Experiencing a CME*

Remember last week's praise of the 10 meter band and the great DX
conditions?  Well, it's way different this week as the HF communications
conditions have been tanked by a CME, or "Coronal Mass Ejection" from the
sun.

I subscribe to a service from Spaceweather.com that provides me with a
timely email about such solar events.  On Monday, the day of the solar
event, I was able to communicate on most of the HF bands quite well early in
the day, but by mid-afternoon it was clear that something was happening.
Sure enough, the email had arrived in my inbox, alerting me to the fact that
a CME event had occurred:

"A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on Oct. 24th
around 1800 UT (2 pm EDT). The impact strongly compressed our planet's
magnetosphere and may have exposed geosynchronous satellites to solar wind
plasma. Mild to moderate geomagnetic storms are possible in the hours ahead
as Earth's magnetic field continues to reverberate from the hit."

Later in the evening on Monday I checked in with a group of friends on 1.902
MHz.  It was 20:00 Central Daylight Time, and after sunset.  Normally the
160 meter band would be really starting to open up that time of the evening,
but conditions were so bad that sky wave communications were almost
non-existent. Ground wave contacts were possible, and because several of us
live within the range of ground wave communications, we were able to carry
on a conversation. It was clear that not everyone knew what was happening,
but by this morning the news had hit the popular media, with stories about
the Northern Lights being observed even in the southern United States, a
rare occurrence.  Displays of the Northern Lights are common in the far
north, as you might expect, when matter and radiation are ejected from the
sun in the direction of Earth reach and disrupt the planet's magnetosphere.
CME events are actually quite common as the sunspot cycle climbs to maximum,
and there may be several each day.  However, not all of them are as strong
as this week's, nor are they all directed toward Earth. You can find out
much more about CME events on Wikipedia or Spaceweather.com, but for our
purposes we simply need to know that solar weather can bring a temporary
halt to effective sky wave propagation.

It is tempting for those of us who have experienced multiple solar cycles as
amateur radio operators to assume that most everyone will know why they turn
on their HF radios and find comparative silence. There may be odd swishing
sounds or hissing.  Tuning around can yield more "birdies" (mixer products
generated within the radio) than actual signals.  We now have lots of new
Technicians and Generals who have never been in this situation.  That
reminds me of the time when I was a new General and had never experienced
the effects of a CME.  It was a time of many sunspots, good DX, plenty of
activity on the bands, and contacts with low power were "easy pickings".
Imagine my thought processes when I switched on the receiver (we had
separate transmitters and receivers in the late 1960's unless we had lots of
money) and there was nothing but a gentle hiss.  I immediately assumed that
the antenna was disconnected - that's exactly what it sounded like, so it
was a reasonable thing to check.  When that idea fizzled, I actually took a
hike out into the back yard to look at the antenna.  It was till up there in
the air, feedline connected, looking fit as ever.

This was a real head-scratcher!

Back inside I went to sit down and puzzle it out.  RF gain, check.  Antenna
switch, check. All vacuum tubes in the receiver lit up, check. Broadcast
stations coming in on medium wave, check.  Eventually I must have talked
with a fellow radio club member and gotten the lowdown on solar weather
events like that one, but it always stuck with me that I felt that the
antenna must not have been connected - that's how bad it was.  You can well
imagine a new ham today experiencing the same thing with this week's solar
weather and thinking that they are either doing something wrong or they have
some kind of an equipment or antenna problem.

So what do you do about it?

This is simple, and the method preferred by lazy operators:  Just wait and
do nothing.  Band conditions will slowly improve, though it may take several
days.  You can have fun keeping an informal log of stations you hear on the
various bands, perhaps even charting the return to normal conditions band by
band, starting with 160 or 80 meters, where sky wave will return quickly,
often within 24 hours. It will probably take longer for activity to return
on bands like 10 meters.  By yesterday 75 meters had cleared up pretty well
and regional nets were back in operation.