[openbeos] Re: way to go on waltercon ... linuxworld

  • From: Shane Moore <Shane.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:18:11 +1000

Hello,
Although I had no intention of going to WalterCon, since I am only on the outer peripheral/observing, but also live so far away that a trip to US is not feasible for me, I can share the disappointment others feel that WalterCon will not be going ahead for this year.

I note that just recently I received a notice about a "call for papers" for next year's (annual) Australia-Linux conference. In other words, they are already planning now, 6-months ahead for something which happens in January. So I would agree that perhaps this year's short time line for WalterCon may be a significant contributing factor. Perhaps, a timeline of significant stages for next year's should be worked out now, e.g. Registrations due by end June if conference is to be in August, etc., and thus a website up 2 months prior, i.e. by end of April, etc.

Secondly, Has anyone considered approaching any universities (or similar place) as possible locations to hold the conference, rather than hotels. Although I have no idea about US semester dates, I should think that there would be some room or rooms which may be of an appropriate size to run a conference, particularly during a non-teaching period. (Though I don't know if it would be a cheaper or more expensive option.)

Shane