[openbeos] Re: walter / new name

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:10:29 -0500

>if openbeos is going to be called walter ... ill bailing.

Sigh. ***WALTER IS A JOKE!!!***

>it's such a lame name.

That is exactly why it is obviously (at least to me) a joke.

>hell, it's not as though im even listed on your site as contributing anyway
>.... (i got sick of asking ppl to add my name. i can find better places to
>spend my time and resources.)

That is your decision. I will respect it, but I think, in fairness, you (and
others)
have to remember that we are all volunteers. You, me, everyone.
Maybe someone forgot to add you to the contributors list. OK, fair enough.
You certainly are not the only one - we started it almost a year into the
project.
The wonders of SF make it hard to get a list of everyone who has checked in
code.
If there was such a thing, we could do this fairly easily.

If I remember who you are and what you did contribute (I am bad with names to
begin
with and corrolating psuedonyms, real names and teams is really tough for me),
your
team lead was out for a long while for personal reasons...

Everyone - if you have a problem, please bring it to me.
Since we are all volunteers, sometimes things get overlooked. Sometimes people
loose
connectivity (I think this has happened to at least 1/2 of the contributers
over time), get sick,
go on vacation, lose emails, whatever. And if I don't respond, wait 3 or 4 days
and hit me again.
We try really hard. But we aren't Be. We aren't Microsoft, Apple, or even
RedHat. We are literally
about a dozen or so people trying to admin, write code, and so on. We aren't
working on this for
our day jobs. I am writing this at midnight, my time. After 10 hours of work,
eating a microwaved dinner
(after the family is done eating), after 3 or 4 hours of coding, and honestly,
I am really tired. We all are.
I don't say this so you will think that I am some hero or something. But I
would just ask a little kindness
and compassion. Just a "Hi - I think that you might have forgotten this - could
you try to get to it in
the next couple of days", instead of a public demand for attention. 500 people
have now read about
how unresponsive the admin team is. Do you think that improves things? Or makes
things worse?
Not that everything has to be sugar coated or that only the nice things should
come to the surface.
I don't want to bury the truth. What I would like is the chance to make it
right before it becomes
a public emergency.

>also, the lack of updating the web site ... its still the plain old (dare i
>say ugly) look that was suppose to be changed.

The look will be changed with the new logo and new name.
Understand, please, everyone, that the CDT team, too, is all volunteer.
A name has been chosen. Not too long ago (we just ended the voting).
We want to announce the name with a new look on the web site, etc.
But we don't have a cast of thousands, here. Again - not to tell a tale of
sorrow,
but we are working as hard and as fast as we can. If we were a "real" company,
we would have a professional marketing company and a new name and web site
in a few days, since we could afford to pay for someone to work full time on it.
We are very fortunate to have the services of a professional designer. Someone
that does it for a living and is willing to donate his time. But it has to be
worked in around
the paying gigs. Just like all of the rest of the team members.

I wish this was a paying job for us. Then the expectations that many people
have would be
justified. And we could live up to them. But it isn't, so we do the best that
we can and it has to
be enough. I want this to be fun for everyone...