[openbeos] Re: threads (was: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted)

  • From: "Scott Donaldson" <a_nqe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:44:08 +0100

Well I need to understand the threading properly before I could even contemplate working on a port.

I still have plans to write a bootloader and that's top of my targets after I've got to grips with cross platform developing. Just a chronic lack of time is holding back all my side projects.

Back to the MMX/SSE optimizing thing I enjoy hand optimizing code, if anyone wants an extra set of eyes to look over the optimizations then I'd be happy to help.

I tend to optimize for the PIII and K7/8 the most since I'm more familiar with the K7 than P4. I've spent a lot of time working with AMD's pipeline simulator (admittedly the windows version only) and pouring over the AMD technical documents to eak the most out of the K7 that I can.

From: Kian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: threads (was: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:20:57 +0100

> > Thanks for such a quick reply, so what thread libary should I use?
>
> You can also write your own thread wrapper. For example, you'd make your own
> mythread_create() and mythread_join() functions, and then provide a
> different implementation for the various platforms you want to use it on. On
> *nix, you'd use pthreads, on BeOS you'd use the thread functions from the
> kernel kit, on Windows you'd use the Win32 functions, etc.

If you were going to go to all that trouble, finishing the pthreads
port would probably take as long but be of higher benifit to "The
Community".

Then again, its not like BeOS threads are terribly hard to learn anyway...

Kian