[haiku] Re: the new link cursor, and mouse cursors in general.

> Is an outline glow at all possible? (Or a tasteful color change?)
> Are we limited to black and white?
> What about size-constraints?
>
> (FWIW, I never liked the hand+triangle and its associations
> stigmata, crucifiction, pain.)
>
> I dislike the overzealous visual feedback some system give
> and prefer the pointer to remain largely the same, but with
> badges attached. E.g. having a horizontal arrow display near
> the hand pointer, when resizing columns or a window border,
> instead of the arrow replacing the hand completely.
>
> There is (or used to be) an easy fix to a lack of visual feedback
> when hovering for links: just show the status bar.

I'll pretty much have to entirely disagree with you on these points. :)  On
every single one of them in fact.

1) Outline glow or color change  - Why would we need these things if we just
did a subtle change like we've been discussing? Glows and color changes kind
of miss the point at least aesthetically if not functionally. While the
change might be apparent, I'd think it would look more gaudy than necessary
to achieve the desired effect.

2) Limited to black and white - given that the developers want to stay close
to the original feel and intent of the BeOS, I'd wager that black and white
is probably the available palette.

3) Size constraints - the new cursors are already larger than the original
Be cursors due to the generally higher resolutions used by default today.
I'm not sure one would want to go much bigger... or why you'd need to
outside of someone who was visually impaired... which goes into a whole
different discussion.

4) Religiously motivated discomfort at the sight of a triangle on a hand -
stay away from wacky religions. They're bad for your brain. :)

5) Visual feedback - We've just discussed at length why the cursor staying
almost entirely the same is a BAD thing. Why in basically every single
modern OS it has become ubiquitous as an advance in usability to except a
certain level of visual feedback when mousing over parts of the OS that you
can act on, and using the cursor to visually cue you in as to which type of
action you can take. eg; the text input bar, arrows showing specifically
which directions something can be resized or moved, a hand pointing to show
that some text is a link and not just colored and underlined text, etc.

6) Text in the status bar instead of a changing cursor -  Again, we've
discussed this already. The point is to see visual feedback where you're
actually looking, where you're currently navigating with the mouse. Not to
have some text appearing somewhere else entirely on the screen where you'd
have to look away from the cursor and find this other text, if you even knew
to look for it to begin with, to see if the desired text was appearing
somewhere else... at that point you'd just be better off clicking where you
were actually looking and seeing what happened.

--
"You don't use science to show you're right, you use science to become
right." --xkcd