[openbeos] Re: status of OpenBeOS

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 16:07:19 -0400

>> Remember that our focus is a *workstation*
>> OS. :-)
>
>no doubt about it :)
>
>I thought that the 2nd way was more secure, but you told me that
>they're quite the same security level, so I'm more quiet now :)

Properly implemented multiuser of any sort is secure.
The real difference is what level of security you require.
There is a difference between needing to protect against other users' processes
and needing to protect files.
Sort of like the difference between locking your door to keep intruders out vs
carrying a gun around your house. :-)
Both can be equally effective at proteccting your stuff. Locking your door is a
single point of entry and therefore a lot easier. :-)

>will it be possible, with way 1st, to run some program as root,
>like you do in Linux when you download an rpm as user and install
>it as root, after providing the root pwd? I'm just asking...

Not at this time. I *certainly* see the value in that. I *hate* having to
reboot/log out to install. But since multi-user is > R1, who knows? :-)