[openbeos] Re: static libs for drivers

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:41:43 +0200 CEST

Jérôme Duval <korli@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> En réponse à Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > In any way, it would be nice to have something like this. Although
> > think it could be nice to have them in plain C and put them into
> > modules ready for use by driver writers?
> For good old C list needs (kernel driver in my case), i use a
> collection located in a header "queue.h" : singly-linked lists, lists,
simple queues,
> tail queues, and circular queues
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/open-beos/current/src/
> add-ons/kernel/drivers/audio/emuxki/queue.h?rev=1.1
>
> The good thing is that it is already tested and working, and simple
> enough.
> Maybe there are better things to use though.

The plus of this header is also that it'll work in R5 without having to
link against an extra object file. OTOH the OpenBeOS kernel has more of
these functionalities built in - so maybe we should think about making
some of them public API.
Exporting them as modules would have the advantage of being free to
change the internals without breaking any compatibility. It would keep
the kernel API at a minimum which is great for development it
further...

Adios...
   Axel.